We currently have an opening for a Senior Scientist in Biological Sciences which is available immediately and located in Charlottesville, VA. The successful candidate will join a team of researchers actively conducting genomics-based research in microbial forensics, microbiology, agricultural sciences, and bioinformatics for a variety of government programs.
Principal Accountabilities and Success Factors
Successful candidates will have a passion for applied research, and developing technically sound solutions for real-world problems. Examples of biological sciences activities may include one or more of the following efforts:
- Molecular Biology skills to complement the MRIGlobal focus in both microbial forensics and biological threat agent detection. Familiar with biotechnologies including Next Generation Sequencing (including familiarity with bioinformatics), real-time PCR, and immunological analysis methods
- Development of experimental plans for testing, evaluating, and validating systems for use in operational programs serving US Government and commercial client needs
- Assisting or leading in statistical inference and analysis of next generation sequencing results, particularly from complex environmental and clinical samples (i.e. metagenomics)
- Expertise in bioinformatics pipelines and systems for use in both high-performance computing cluster and remote field-based contexts
- Microbial or plant genomics, physiology, and PCR-based testing and evaluation
We aim to attract new talent into MRIGlobal’s existing pool of forward thinking research scientists focused on applied research in environmental/agricultural bio-surveillance, and microbial forensics.
- Ph.D. and 3 years of relevant experience in Biology, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Agriculture, or similar field
- Experience in next generation sequencing analysis and bioinformatics
- Experience in microbial pathogen genomics or metagenomics a major plus
- Experience in LIMS systems for tracking and analysis of complex genomics data is a plus
- Applicants MUST be a U.S. Citizen and be eligible to obtain a Department of Defense Clearance
It is the policy of MRIGlobal to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other applicable federal or state protected classification.
MRIGlobal, an independent research and development organization, delivers solutions in global health, national security and defense, and energy and the environment. The organization perform scientific research, advanced engineering, and program integration and management for clients in industry, government, and academia. Established in 1944 as Midwest Research Institute, MRIGlobal is based in Kansas City, Mo., and operates in nine states and Washington, D.C. MRIGlobal employs more than 500 and manages 2,600-plus workers through management and operations programs with various clients.