Recognized as a world leader in mapping the genetic landscape of pediatric cancers, the St. Jude department of Computational Biology has developed state-of-art computational infrastructure, well-established analytical pipelines, and deep genomic analysis expertise with a track record of high-impact publications in top-tier biomedical journals such as Nature, NEJM, JAMA, Nature Genetics, and Nature Methods. The department provides a highly interactive environment with collaborative opportunities across basic and clinical departments, access to high performance computing clusters, cloud computing environment, innovative visualization tools, highly automated analytical pipelines and mentorship from faculty scientists with deep experience in data analysis, data management, and delivery of high-quality results for highly competitive projects. This position is located in Memphis, TN, and relocation assistance is available.
The department of Computational Biology is seeking highly motivated and creative Senior Software Engineers to develop software used in big data bioinformatics analysis as part of a team of scientists and engineers at the forefront of genomic research into catastrophic childhood diseases. Positions are available in the following focus areas:
- Developing and maintaining advanced bioinformatics tools for the St. Jude Cloud project. Primary responsibilities will be developing and publishing bioinformatics tools in St. Jude Cloud, pioneering the implementation of new workflow technologies at St. Jude, and oversight and implementation of all genomic tools products in St. Jude Cloud. Knowledge of Linux, Bash, Git, Python, and at least one of the following languages is requirred: Java, Perl, C, C++, Go, Rust. Experience in workflow languages (WDL/CWL/NextFlow), containerization (Docker), technical leadership on software development projects, software product design, common cloud computing paradigms is preferred.
- Developing and maintaining advanced bioinformatics tools in St. Jude’s high-performance computing (HPC) environment.Primary responsibilities will be development of software infrastructure supporting large-scale automation, and bioinformatics pipeline evaluation and development. Knowledge of Bash is preferred. Must be able to work with complex large-scale systems, including legacy and externally developed code. Experience in a bioinformatics or big data setting is preferred.
All positions listed require experience working within a team of software developers, writing and maintaining documentation relevant to the position’s scope of work, writing and maintaining unit tests for software, and assisting in preparing and submitting manuscripts. When applying, please include areas of specific interest in cover letter.
- Five (5) years of experience in software development is required. One year of experience required with a Master’s degree.
- Linux experience is required.
- Database development and SQL experience is preferred
- Experience in working with large data sets or bioinformatics data is preferred.
- Familiarity with statistical analysis methods and languages such as R is preferred.
- Experience in a research or academic setting preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, physical science, or related field required
- Master’s degree is preferred
No Search Firms:
St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. Please do not call or email. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee or other representative at St. Jude via email, the internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place and approved by HR will result in no fee being paid in the event the candidate is hired by St. Jude.