Recognized as a world leader in mapping the genetic landscape of pediatric cancers, the St. Jude department of Computational Biology has developed state-of-art computational infrastructure, well-established analytical pipelines, and deep genomic analysis expertise with a track record of high-impact publications in top-tier biomedical journals such as Nature, NEJM, JAMA, Nature Genetics, and Nature Methods. The department of Computational Biology is seeking a highly motivated, analytical thinker for the position of Genomic Data Engineer to develop data stores and accompanying software used in big data bioinformatics analysis. The Genomic Data Engineer plays a key role in delivering highly accurate and timely data to scientists and clinicians at the forefront of genomic research into catastrophic childhood diseases. This position also requires experience working within a team of software and data engineers, writing and maintaining documentation relevant to the position’s scope of work, and assisting with the preparation and submission of manuscripts.
The department provides a highly interactive environment with collaborative opportunities across basic and clinical departments, access to high performance computing clusters, cloud computing environment, innovative visualization tools, highly automated analytical pipelines and mentorship from faculty scientists with deep experience in data analysis, data management, and delivery of high-quality results for highly competitive projects. This position is located in Memphis, TN, and relocation assistance is available.
- Designing, developing, testing, and maintaining departmental data store infrastructure
- Data curation and proactive data error discovery and resolution
- Enhancing processes and systems to ensure complete and accurate data capture and to accelerate data delivery to scientists
- Five (5) years of experience in database development and programming is required.
- One year of experience required with a master’s degree.
- In-depth experience with relational databases, such as PostgeSQL or Oracle, SQL and PL/pgSQL (or PL/SQL) is required.
- Linux shell scripting is required.
- Experince with at least one of Python, Perl, or Java.
- Proficiency in database design and programming, data modeling, and data quality control. Familiarity with bioinformatics is preferred.
- Experience in a research or academic setting preferred
Other preferred experience & abilities
- Database refactoring techniques
- SQL statement and execution plan analysis and optimization
- Data modeling
- Relational database design
- Data curation
- ETL tools and techniques
- ORMs such as SQLAlchemy, Hibernate, ActiveRecord, or DBIx::Class
- Database administration
- High-performance computing
- Medical informatics
- Data governance
- VCS, preferably Subversion
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Mathematics, or related field is required
- Master’s degree is preferred
No Search Firms:
St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. Please do not call or email. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee or other representative at St. Jude via email, the internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place and approved by HR will result in no fee being paid in the event the candidate is hired by St. Jude.