The department of Computational Biology is seeking a highly motivated and creative Bioinformatics Portal Engineer to develop cutting edge web-based applications used for St. Jude’s groundbreaking precision medicine program. The Bioinformatics Portal Engineer plays a key role in developing novel applications to empower scientists and clinicians at the forefront of genomic research into catastrophic childhood diseases. This position also requires experience working within a team of software and data engineers, writing and maintaining documentation relevant to the position’s scope of work, and assisting with the preparation and submission of manuscripts.
The department provides a highly interactive environment with collaborative opportunities across basic and clinical departments, access to high performance computing clusters, cloud computing environment, innovative visualization tools, highly automated analytical pipelines and mentorship from faculty scientists with deep experience in data analysis, data management, and delivery of high-quality results for highly competitive projects. This position is located in Memphis, TN, and relocation assistance is available.
Recognized as a world leader in mapping the genetic landscape of pediatric cancers, the St. Jude department of Computational Biology has developed state-of-art computational infrastructure, well-established analytical pipelines, and deep genomic analysis expertise with a track record of high-impact publications in top-tier biomedical journals such as Nature, NEJM, JAMA, Nature Genetics, and Nature Methods.
- Works in conjunction with Sr. Bioinformatics Portal Engineers to implement, test, and maintain web applications managed by the Department of Computational Biology at St. Jude, including web applications for clinical genomics.Design and implementation of the UI
- Design and implementation of the back-end database.
- Develops web-based visualization tools that present significant patterns emerging from large-scale genomic data analyses.
- Works with an interdisciplinary team to improve clinical genomics applications, adding value to precision medicine at Jude.
- Maintains CAP/CLIA standards by creating and maintaining user documentation as well as strict adherence to code version control and testing.
- Five (5) years of internet development experience is required.
- One year of experience required with a master’s degree.
- Experience in Object Oriented Programming preferred.
- Experience in Database Design and Programming preferred.
- Experience in Bioinformatics preferred.
Bachelor’s degree in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Software Engineering or related field is required.
Master’s degree is preferred.
No Search Firms:
St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. Please do not call or email. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee or other representative at St. Jude via email, the internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place and approved by HR will result in no fee being paid in the event the candidate is hired by St. Jude.