The National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center (NBACC) is a Department of Homeland Security federal laboratory (DHS) sponsored by the DHS Science and Technology Directorate and operated by the Battelle National Biodefense Institute, LLC (BNBI).
Applies expertise in bioinformatics to support capability expansion projects and bioforensic casework execution within the NBFAC Genomics group.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Requires a Master’s Degree (or equivalent) in a scientific or engineering discipline, and a minimum of 2 years related experience.
• Familiarity with 2nd- and 3rd-generation sequencing platforms (e.g., Illumina, Pacific Biosciences, Oxford Nanopore Technologies) and associated data types.
• Knowledge in one or more of the following specializations: data visualization, statistical analysis, predictive modeling, genome assembly, long-read technologies, deep learning/machine learning, microbial genomics, human genomics, synthetic biology/genetic engineering/CRISPR/etc.
• Expertise operating in a UNIX/Linux environment.
• Experience with multiple programming languages required for small- and large-scale software development and scripting (e.g., Bash, Perl, Python, Java, R, C/C++).
• Familiarity with computing clusters and associated job management software (e.g., SGE, Condor, Hadoop, SLURM, etc.).
• Experience installing bioinformatics software and performing basic system administration tasks.
• Well-versed with bioinformatic software solutions and concepts of data examination.
• Capable of troubleshooting research-grade software developed by third-parties.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Exemplary organizational skills with a proven track record of working effectively both independently and as a team player.
• Knowledge or experience with biocontainment facilities and procedures, laboratory safety, biosurety, and decontainment is desirable.
• Skills and experience to support laboratory activities and work in accordance with NBACC’s management system (e.g., ISO).
• Must be a citizen of the United States, able to obtain an interim secret clearance leading to a top secret clearance, suitability for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Current clearance(s) desirable.
• Participation in the Immunization Program through Corporate Occupational Health Solutions, LLC (CorpOHS) as required.
• May be required to participate in NBACC’s alternative work and/or on-call schedule, dependent upon business needs.
• Serves as a member of a team in developing, validating, and maintaining methods for identifying and characterizing biological threat agents.
• Manages and executes NBFAC Genomics casework and other mission-critical analyses.
• Develops, maintains, and/or executes modular automated workflows for genomic sequence processing, assembly, annotation, metagenomic analysis, and genotyping using multiple high-throughput DNA sequencing platforms.
• Researches, evaluates, and incorporates relevant analysis methods and software tools within the arena of DNA sequencing and bioinformatics by reviewing pertinent literature.
• Works with Bioinformatics personnel and external collaborators to determine future bioinformatics needs, and develops tools and databases as necessary to keep pace with rapid advances in sequencing technology.
• Works with Senior PIs to ensure both long-term and short-term goals are met.
• May determine methods and procedures on new assignments, while mentoring more junior Bioinformatics PIs and providing guidance to other Bioinformatics personnel.
• Publishes in peer-reviewed scientific journals; represents NBACC at scientific conferences and workshops.
• Adapts quickly to new work assignments, performs assignments outside existing areas of expertise, demonstrates technical proficiency, and manages resources efficiently.
• Works on assignments requiring considerable judgment and initiative, while understanding the implications of work and making recommendations for solutions.
• Maintains a safe work environment by participating in specialized training and review of safety manuals and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Develops techniques and performs tests and analyses according to appropriate SOPs.
• Identifies departures from the Quality Management System (QMS) and initiates actions to investigate and prevent such occurrences.
• Operates and maintains computing systems and other equipment with minimal supervision.
• Maintains appropriate records.
• Performs other assigned duties.
BNBI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.